Monday, May 16, 2011

A little bit of Easter, a little bit of thought


Our Van, which proclaimed "Happy Easter" on the banner tied to the front. 

Tante Marte and Ibrahim exchanged hats! Too funny!

Upon arriving in Djiguila we were told to be seated as chairs were brought to us from across the village. Multiple children were gathering as we proceeded towards the chairs, with an overwhelming pressure to make sure we were greeting people in the midst of being tired. We were introduced to the local pastor and his wife, which in all honesty I have no recollection of, and then given some time to rest. Truthfully though, we found out later that the only reason we had been “resting” for so long was because we had arrived early and the Village Elders were not back from the market yet.


Tired and just got off the van, surrounded by soo many children!

As we were led to the middle of the village in which they called the “meeting place” children held our hands, giving them what seemed like “a higher status” amongst them. Each one hesitated as proceeded to grab your hand hoping not to startle you but wishing that with just a few more inches your hand would be set in theirs. As they slowly clutched your hand they seemed to stand much taller as they began to lead you through the houses into the meeting place.

Once we were standing within the meeting place the children were shooed from our midst as a long bench was placed in front of us. The bench was facing what looked like a giant picnic table with a covering over it as to block the sun. Several men were stretched along the table top sitting so close to one another it made you hot just looking at them. They were dressed in such a way that demanded respect, giving no authority to speak unless spoken to. They spoke in such a way that you could not follow if there was any order unless you knew the men and were able to speak the language fluently. Later we would find out that it went from youngest to oldest and back down to the youngest, if I am not mistaken.


The Village Elders 

The oldest chief would arrive late to this meeting because he was out buying Cola Nuts for us, which is a traditional religion ritual. I was honored to have received these because I know the significance and importance they have to these Elders, so to receive them meant that we were welcome with open arms. As you sit and listen to these men as they speak the sound of their voices, and yet you watch their posture as they sit you realize that these men are people. These men aren’t respected out of how much money they have, or because they are the best dressed, or even because they have the best talents. They are respected because of their age and these men sitting in front of us are sitting as a representation of many families from which they are the oldest and therefore most respected.


Cola Nuts
 Through this weekend I would find myself disgusted with how much I had relied on the Critical Approach to Africa, let alone Mali as I stepped into a personal experience of the culture. As I wonder about the different levels of respect from the chief to the women to the children I find that all I am coming from is a critical approach. After living here in Mali for two months I find that I view things differently. Instead of worrying about the woman who “seem to get taken advantage of,” I find that watching them as they walk back in a line from where they just fetched water from a well is simply beautiful.

Saturday night, just before Easter we went and saw a dance happening in the  "main Square" where we had met all of the Elders.  Another village had come to dance for the particular village we came to visit.  We were seated in the front and saw everything up close.  This is a fetish (Traditional African Religion) dance and is not a Christian related "activity." We simply watched to have the experience.  


Sunday afternoon we were shown a dance, done especially for us.  It explained a lot about the different families.  Was fun and interesting to watch, for sure.  They put on this dance especially for the "White People" to explain the family history of the different tribes.  


The children climbed with us to the top of a giant hill.  They carried our water bottles and held our hands sometimes. We also went and saw the Bou Bou tree on this venture as well!



This is Kyria, niece of our host and daughter of our good friend.  She was adorable.


This is Grandma: Uncle Joseph's Mother.  She is a beautiful, hard working, stubborn woman and reminded me a lot of my very own Grandma Bonnie Jo -- hence the reason I started calling her grandma. 


We are doing the 2011 pound it that I taught her! This new pound it is going to spread across the world!


You see pictures of occurrences while I am here in Mali, but do you see the before and after part of that picture? When you look at pictures from “Africa” are you holding onto that one picture as you hear information on the news about “Africa?” Are you looking up facts about Africa about malnutrition, HIV/AIDS, or poverty? If so you are now encouraging a Scientific approach to understanding culture. Remember, that one picture is only a part of one story. My story is going to affect many people’s view on Africa, and even deeper, Mali. Please know that there is so much more happening daily that you cannot see and that I may never be able to fully portray in writing or even a picture. Life is constantly going, and moving I will never fully understand what is going on, but I can do my best to be a part of it.

Please go and watch this video <--Link attached: we watched it in one of our classes we had and has stuck with me ever since.


Our Malian family on Easter !

Singing for the church on Easter Morning!

By the way: This is Rebecca.  She is the Intercultural Studies Intern at Grace University.  She arrived here in Mali on April 17 and will be with us for the rest of our journey!  If you remember or saw any pictures from Heart, she was there in Florida with us as well!










Also: Special thanks to my Grandparents! You are amazing and I love you soo much! Thank you for the packages you have sent and the cards! They mean so much to me! I miss you so much! 
Another thanks to Alexis Akers! My best friends of 16 years who sent me a package! You are the best! 
One more to my Aunt Tina! You cease to amaze me with your constant new ways of supporting me! Thank you so much!


Thank you again for all of your constant support! I am so grateful! 
It's officially 1 month until my birthday and less than two months until I come home! 
What?!

1 comment: