So I haven't been sleeping much at night and I am not completely sure as to the reasoning. Mostly I enjoy the cool nights air, but this past week we had a paper due. It was easiest to focus at night due to the hot weather and so I find myself up late working on things. In order to stay sane I decided with my good friend Samantha, who would also stay up late, that we needed something to look forward to to keep us motivated through the night. In turn, every night we mastered some sort of snack. So far our late night snacks have included (keep in mind, some of these items were sent in a package and are not neccesarily available in Mali) Banana Bread, Cranberry Cinnamon Rolls, No Bake nut cookies, Mango Sorbet, Mango Pie, and Cinnamon Cranberry Pancakes dipped in the extra juice from the Mango Pie.
On the day before our paper was due Samantha and I decided we were going to go watch the sun rise from the garden. The night had been perfect, cool and windy but not too windy and it would be the perfect morning to watch it. Well, it wasn't. It was super cloudy and smelt like rain, even better. We had goose bumps for the first time in a long time. It didn't rain until 2 days later, but even still, as you saw in the previous post, indeed it rained and it was beautiful!
Samantha and I saw Andrew awakening (who was sleeping outside that night) and so we snuck around the back of the houses. The Students and the children around were all watching us wondering what in the world we were doing. We walked around the side of the house and jumped out and yelled "Good Morning!" in Bambara to Andrew. "I ni sagoma!" Who had NOOO response whatsoever! The Malians loved it and were laughing with us, but Andy just stared at us.
Here is a picture of our Banana plants that we water everyday, the beautiful cloudy "sunrise," and me and Sammi, having no sleep. I hope to get the video uploaded soon of us surprising him, so that you can enjoy it too!
No comments:
Post a Comment